African outfits

African outfits
Our crazy family

Monday, March 19, 2012

Travel is not all fun

This morning I woke up early to the sound of the ocean and felt so excited to get back to Yaounde' so we could repack before heading home. I went to the front desk of the Hotel to settle up our bill, only to find that the Capital One credit card I had planned on using wouldn't go through. This really frustrated me since I had checked with my credit cards before leaving to make sure they knew I would be out of country. I was assured it was no problem. I really wanted to use my American Express card so I could get 3% rebate back but they did not accept that card. My brother had mentioned in an email that Capital One has been calling our home line quite a bit lately so I hope that there is a good reason my card did not go through (I suppose if there is a reason, that would actually be BAD, but good that Capital One is doing their job). I will wait until I have more information before I make a judgement. The strange thing is the hotel accepted our Visa debit card from our bank...and the account it came from we know does not enough funds in it - whatever. We will transfer money and it will be fine. I just don't do well put on the spot like that knowing we have to hurry up and get to the bus station. Our bus was scheduled to leave at 9am and actually left at 930am - that is not bad. I was thrilled, we were in a bigger bus that had comfy seats. When Steve asked about air conditioning, the answer was the bus HAD air conditioning AND it works!!! The question we forgot to ask was "Do you use it?" The answer would have been NO! As we were waiting to leave the station, a man got on the bus selling cloths to wipe the sweat off your brow, as well as fans, that should have been a big hint as to what was to come. The 5 hour bus ride was about 6 + hours with no windows to open, but it did have the vents on the top of the bus open. Every time the bus would slow down even a bit our bodies would instantly be sweaty (and not just ours, the whole bus), then as the air started moving through the upper vent and the sweat evaporated we experienced God's natural air conditioning. We were happy Steve chose to join us to Yaounde' because most of what was said was in French. At some of the towns, people would jump on and sell things - pop, crackers, fruit, fried things etc. About an hour out of Yaounde' a man got on and talked non-stop the whole rest of the trip - all in French (and Steve was sleeping). I could make out some of the information by his gestures but much of it went right over my head. From what I could tell, at first he was educating us about deforestation problems, bush killing and things like that. Then he brought out some items to sell - I could understand the lotion and the toothpaste. Some items I'm glad we couldn't understand by the gestures and tone of his voice. Then he was selling antibiotics - this is when Steve woke up so I could ask him what was being sold. It was all very strange and the man smelled so bad that it chocked me up every time he stood by my seat. I was sort of hoping he would sell deodorant and I could buy him some to use as a sample. It was such a relief when we pulled into the bus station and hailed a taxi. We are not ready to say our good-byes to Steve yet - that can wait until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment